US-China Intellectual Property Exchange and Development Foundation Inauguration
NEW YORK, Dec. 4 (Xinhua) — The U.S.-China Intellectual Property (IP) Exchange and Development Foundation (UCIPF) was inaugurated Tuesday evening with the mission to facilitate cooperation between IP professionals of the world’s two largest economies.
At the inauguration held at the Harvard Club in New York, UCIPF founder and CEO Demi Wang said she wants to build an exchange platform for IP leaders, and a forum to unite IP owners, including startups, to commercialize their innovations.
Wang said she announced her decision on UCIPF in October on LinkedIn. Within three hours, she heard more than 500 IP professionals saying they wanted to connect.
US-China IP Exchange & Development Foundation hosts Chinese New Year reception for business community at the Ritz-Carlton Beijing
BEIJING, Jan. 13 — On January 13th, the US-China IP Exchange & Development Foundation (UCIPF) hosted a Chinese New Year reception for China’s business community at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Beijing.
US-China IP Exchange & Development Foundation (UCIPF) is invited to attend the Tenth China Intellectual Property Annual Forum and 2020 Annual Conference of In-house IP Managers in China
BEIJING, Jan. 11 & 12 — On the 11th and 12th of January, the Tenth China Intellectual Property Annual Forum and 2020 Annual Conference of In-house IP Managers in China was held at the Intercontinental Sanlitun Hotel in Beijing. The event was hosted by China Intellectual Property Magazine. Ms. Demi Wang, founder and CEO of the US-China IP Development & Exchange Foundation (UCIPF), and Mr. Zhongjun Cheng, UCIPF’s Beijing representative, attended as special guests.
The annual Award Ceremony and Appreciation Dinner, held on the evening of January 11th, is always a highlight of the event. Organizers announced the winners of several awards, including: “China’s Outstanding Intellectual Property Manager 2019,” “2019 China’s Intellectual Property Manager Tomorrow’s Star,” and “2019 China’s Outstanding Enterprise Intellectual Property Management Team.”
US-China Economic and Trade Agreement Phase 1 – Pharmaceutical related IP issues | UCIPF
WEBINAR, June 16 – Overview of IP provisions of the recent Economic and Trade Agreement between U.S. and China phase 1 – Mark Cohen, Lecturer in Law, Distinguished Senior Fellow, and Director at the University of California at Berkeley
Advisory Board, UCIPF
Supplemental Data filing in China and Patent Term Extension and Current practice for post filing data in China – Luke Zuo, Senior Partner, NTD Patent & Trademark Agency Limited
Current challenges for US Pharmaceutical companies for posting filing data issues in China – R. Craig Tucker, Senior Patent Counsel, Eli Lilly
What we expect that China implement the IP provisions of the Economic and Trade Agreement in the future for Post filing data Patent Term Extension – Tom Hoxie, Managing Partner, Hoxie & Associates LLC.
Closing remarks – Demi Wang, Founder, Chief Executive Officer
Current Opportunities and Mechanisms for Success When Doing Business in China in What is the “New” Normal
Webinar, Sept 9 – Introduction: Relevant statistics about China’s investment opportunities and Geographic growth initiatives and regions.
1. Cross Border Contracts: Key contract terms requiring change due to the “New” Normal and Change in negotiating style and format
2. Cross Border Deals and Investments: Where are we right now? “New” PRC Foreign Investment Law: Managing new and redefining old relationships and “Game Changers”: Critical new rights and obligations;
3. Latest M&A metrics in & out of China: Cross Border Challenges, Legal and regulatory, Finance & Investment; Brief Current Case Comments: Market entry and risk management involving “Jiangsu Saleen Automotive Technologies (JSAT)”
4. Cross Border Opportunities: Expansion methods: Structuring the correct business model in today’s environment (joint venture, wholly owned entity, contract); Industry growth
5. Closing Remarks: Recent Success Stories; Why China is here to stay!
Robin Gerofsky Kaptzan, Senior Foreign Counsel at Duan & Duan Law firm (Shanghai)
Robert Daudt, Founder and Managing Partner at ChinaPlus Capital
George Likourezos, partner at Carter, DeLuca & Farrell, LLP
Why is Intellectual Property Important in China?
Webinar, Oct. 6 – Why is intellectual property important in China?
Welcome Remark – Demi Wang-Founder, CEO at UCIPF
- Introduction – Why is intellectual property important in China?
- Building a Chinese intellectual property portfolio.
- Minimizing risk
- Freedom to operate and clearance searches
- Monitoring Competitor’s, Employees’ and Partners’ IP Filings
- New TM Law and Draft Patent Law
Guest Speaker: Aaron Wininger, Director of China Intellectual Property Practice at Schwegman Lundberg &. Woessner
Moderator: Jason Lee DeFrancesco, Partner at Hill Wallack LLP
- China is now a top venue to enforce patent rights: what happened?
- China is a top innovator – including software
- IP Courts
- Degradation of patent rights in the US
- China is the “Great Equalizer”
- Why file a patent litigation in China?
- High win rates
- Foreign patentee do even better (but don’t sue a Chinese chipmaker)
- Huge China market for sales and manufacturing
- Virtually guaranteed injunctions
- Short time from filing to judgment
- Low cost
- Venue is fair
- Validity challenges are more reasonable than other nations
- Specialized patent courts (trial and appeal)
- Administrative options
- Continued development of common-sense rules
- SEP cases
Guest Speaker Erick Robinson, Partner, head of China Practice at Dunlap Bennett & Ludwig
Software and Business Method Inventions Protection in China
Webinar, Nov. 5 – Patent Examination Guideline amendments for software inventions and business method inventions in China
Patentable subject matter
- Software inventions
- Business method inventions
Guest Speaker: Ms. Jianghong Dong, Partner, IP March
Moderator: Hsuanyeh Chang, Principal at Hsuanyeh Law Group PC
Tips for drafting patent claims for software inventions and business method inventions
Case study of software patents in China
Guest Speaker: Mr. Stephen Yang, Managing Partner, IP March
Advisor Board, UCIPF
Moderator: Hsuanyeh Chang, Principal at Hsuanyeh Law Group PC
Closing remarks-Demi Wang – Founder, CEO, President, Trustee, UCIPF